In 2010, fertility clinics across the nation reported performing over 18,000 procedures using donated eggs- up almost 8,000 procedures since 2000. In earlier years, egg donation was considered by some to be a last resort for becoming pregnant, however, recently more women are choosing egg donation due to its impressive success rates. Egg donation provides an opportunity to experience a healthy pregnancy for women who cannot become pregnant with their own eggs. If you are considering egg donation as a fertility option, or if you are a considering becoming an egg donor at Park Avenue Fertility, here are some facts you should know:
Egg Donation Facts for Patients:
- Because eggs are typically donated from young, healthy donors, pregnancy rates are extremely high- beyond other fertility options available.
- Unlike sperm donation, egg donations are typically fresh and are synchronized with the patient’s menstrual cycle for a higher success rate. After being fertilized, the eggs are implanted through In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
- Women who conceive using donated eggs include: women who no longer produce eggs, women whose eggs do not develop enough to carry a pregnancy, women who carry genetic diseases and who chose not to use their own eggs, and women who have had medical treatments that prevent them from using their own eggs.
- At Park Avenue Fertility egg donation is anonymous.
- Egg donors are put through extensive screening for medical, genetic and psychological health.
- Egg recipients should be screened for physical and psychological health before the procedure is completed.
Facts for Egg Donors:
- Becoming an egg donor requires an application and several medical visits before you are accepted to be an egg donor.
- Your medical, genetic and psychological health will be screened before and during the process.
- Typically, egg donors are between the ages of 21-29.
- Recent studies have suggested that egg donation may have no negative affect on your ability to have your own successful pregnancies.
- To prepare your eggs you will have to take medication and hormones. Additionally, your cycle will need to be synced with the recipient. This process usually takes 4-6 weeks.
- Compensation is offered for egg donation and some donors choose to donate more than once.
Egg donation can be a wonderful way for patients to achieve a healthy pregnancy if they have not been able to, or do not want to conceive with their own eggs. Donors have an opportunity to help families achieve their desire to grow their family. Park Avenue Fertility is dedicated to offering compassionate care and is focused on providing the most up-to-date fertility treatments in Connecticut. To learn more about our impressive IVF success rates, contact us at Administration@parkavefertility.com or call us at 855-901-BABY.