Many women are eager to have children in their 30s or 40s.
It is important however that patients be aware that conceiving and then delivering a healthy child can be a challenge to some women as they get older and attempt to start or extend their families.The risk of fertility problems increases with age. Statistically, the expectancy of a successful pregnancy decreases after a woman reaches her mid-30s.
There are several reasons for this decline.
- Reduced number of eggs (egg quantity)
- Less frequent ovulations
- “Older” eggs might have more defects (egg quality)
- Risk of miscarriage increases with age
- Risk of having a child with Down syndrome increases as a woman’s age advances.
In addition, other health conditions (both reproductive and medical) that can affect the ability to conceive and carry a pregnancy occur more frequently after 30:
- Blocked fallopian tubes (sometimes resulting from past infections)
- Fibroids (non-cancerous growths in the uterus)
- High blood pressure
- Kidney problems
- Heart problems
However, there is no need to despair!
It is possible to overcome most causes of infertility with the help of an experienced, knowledgeable doctor. Dr. Andrew Levi of Park Avenue Fertility in Connecticut has effectively resolved fertility problems for many women in their 30s and 40s, many whom have since become happy mothers. The first step to achieve a healthy pregnancy is to conduct a thorough evaluation. Our team of specialists in Connecticut efficiently and accurately performs the necessary tests to best determine the specific underlying reasons for infertility. Some of these tests include:
- Ultrasound and specialized reproductive blood tests
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)
- Endometrial biopsy
- Sonohysterogram (SHG)
- Diagnostic laparoscopy
After evaluating the results of testing, Dr. Levi will assign a customized, appropriately aggressive individualized treatment plan.
To learn more about our tests and treatment options, please schedule your consultation with Dr. Levi at Park Avenue Fertility.
Needless to say, your overall health is an indispensable foundation for a successful pregnancy. Here are some tips from Dr. Levi that can help you achieve that:
- It is recommended to see a doctor if you are having trouble conceiving or if you think that you may have problems that may make it difficult for you to get pregnant
- Stay current with your regular health screenings
- Take all essential supplements and nutrients, as suggested by your doctor
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol
- Do not take any drugs or supplements unless recommended or approved by your health provider
- Before you conceive, get tested to confirm that you are immune to viruses such as chickenpox and rubella (among others – your doctor can guide you). If not immune, consider getting vaccinated for these infections before getting pregnant
- Eat healthy foods that include folic acid and folates
- Exclude fish that might be high in mercury
- Maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle
Dr. Andrew Levi and his team use their extensive knowledge and experience in the context of individualized, compassionate care to best provide you with fertility solutions and give comprehensive support to you in the process. Please schedule an appointment in our Connecticut offices today to begin your journey toward achieving a successful pregnancy.