Learn the answer to the common question how many embryos should I transfer
Women commonly ask our Connecticut fertility center doctor how many embryos should I transfer. Andrew Levi MD typically follows the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) guidelines.
- If you are under the age of 37 or your embryo has been tested (regardless of your age), Dr. Levi will transfer one embryo.
- When you are between the ages of 38 and 40, he will typically transfer two embryos.
- If you are age 41 or over, he will transfer three embryos.
How many embryos should I transfer?
The prime reason that Dr. Levi follows ASRM guidelines is safety. A twin pregnancy can create a higher risk of certain health complications for both the mom and the babies.
- Premature delivery
- Gestational hypertension
- Birth defects like neural tube defects and gastrointestinal and heart abnormalities
- Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, which consists of blood vessels connecting within the placenta and diverting blood from one baby to the other
- Abnormal amounts of amniotic fluid
- Postpartum hemorrhage
Because of these potential risk factors, ASRM recommends that doctors only transfer one embryo if you are under the age of 37. This also applies when preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy (PGT-A) confirms that an embryo is chromosomally normal.
If you do not use PGT-A, our Connecticut fertility center expert will work with you to determine what circumstances would make it safe to transfer an additional embryo.
Does Dr. Levi ever transfer more than one embryo?
Some women who ask the question how many embryos should I transfer are eager to know if the doctor will consider the transfer of more than one embryo. Because every woman has different health and fertility needs, our Connecticut fertility center works with patients to make a customized plan.
The goal at our fertility center is to help patients create a treatment plan that gives them the best chance of developing a healthy pregnancy. Contact us for more information about the question of how many embryos should I transfer.